Magical Blur is what I call a blur that makes your photo look… magical. It's easy to do and works best with building photos and nature (woods and rivers).
1. Open GIMP.
2. Open your photo. (screen1)
3. Make a copy of your layer Background so layer 1 and layer 2 both contain your photo.(screen2)
4. Blur the layer that is on top ("Background copy") with Gaussian Blur (15x15). (screen3)
5. Set the top layer mode to "Lighten only".
6. Set transparency for the top layer to control the effect.(screen4)
Note: If you change the mode to "Darken only" you will get something like a comic version of your photo.